The Palisade Research Recommended Reading and Book List
I am an avid reader about all things finance related.
History, investing strategies, philosophy, risk, and everything else.
Many who know me have seen my huge library of physical books I have in my house and the stacks of books all over.
I believe that a good investing book should be – above all else – practical. Most are just noise and useless theory that doesn’t do anything for the reader long term.
As an investor and reader, I want original ideas that have actionable advice so I can better my strategies and benefit from it…
After debating with my team, we put together a list of books that have impacted us and think will give you practical use.
Nowhere else will you find such a large and resourceful book list. . .
– Adrm Tumerkan
Risk Management, Uncertainty, Probabilities, and Dealing with Volatility. . .
- Black Swan by Nassim Taleb
- Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Taleb
- The Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver
- The Fat Tail by Ian Bremmer and Preston Kent
- The Drunkards Walk by Leonard Mlodinow
- Against the Gods by Peter L. Bernstein
- The Misbehavior of Markets by Benoit Mandelbrot
- When Genius Failed by Roger Lowenstein
- The Theory That Would Not Die – Bayes Theroem by Sharon Mcgrayne
- How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff
Being Contrarian. . .
- Be Unreasonable by Paul Lemberg
- The Art of Contrary Thinking by Humphrey Bancroft Neill
- Contrarian Investment Strategies: Beat the Market Against the Crowd by David Dreman
- The Trouble with Prosperity – A Contrarian’s Tale of Boom, Bust, and Speculation by Jim Grant
- Liars Poker by Michael Lewis
- The Big Short by Michael Lewis
- Selling America Short: The SEC and Market Contrarians in the Age of Absurdity by Richard Sauer
- The Big Score: Robert Friedland, INCO, and the Voisey Bay Hustle by Jacquie McNish
All Things ‘Cycle Theory’ Related. . .
- Tomorrow’s Gold by Marc Faber
- Capital Returns by Edward Chancellor
- Devil Take the Hindmost by Edward Chancellor
- BULL: A History of Boom and Busts by Maggie Mahar
- The Austrian Theory of the Trade Cycle and Other Essays edited by Richard M. Ebeling
- Austrian School Business Cycle Theory by Murray Rothbard
- The Origin of Financial Crises by George Cooper
- The Structure of Production by Mark Skousen
- Profiting From Monetary Policy: Investing Through the Business Cycle by Thomas Aubrey
- The Great Wave: Price Revolutions and the Rhythm of History by David Hacket Fischer
Macro-Economics. . .
- Currency Wars by Jim Rickards
- The Alchemy of Finance by George Soros
- When Money Dies by Adam Fergusson
- Adaptive Markets: Financial Evolution by Andrew W. Lo
- The End of Theory: Financial Crises, the Failure of Economics by Richard Bookstaber
- The Invisible Hands by Steven Drobny
- More Money Than God by Sebastian Mallaby
- Monetary Regimes and Inflation: History, Economics, and Political Relationships by Peter Bernholz
Behavioral Economics and Finance. . .
- The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis
- Misbehaving by Richard Thaler
- The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli
- The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind by Gustave Le Bon
- The Art of Strategy: A Game Theorist’s Guide to Success in Business and Life by Avinash Dixit
- Fads and Fallacies by Martin Gardner
- Thank You for Arguing: What Aristotle, Lincoln, And Homer Simpson Can Teach Us About the Art of Persuasion by Jay Heinrichs
- What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars by Jim Paul
- Essays of Persuasion by John Maynard Keynes
- More Than You Know: Finding Financial Wisdom in Unconventional Places by Michael J. Mauboussin
- Market Wizards: How Winning Traders Win by Jack D. Schwager
- Behavioral Investing: A Practitioners Guide to Applying Behavioral Finance by James Montier
Complex System and the Science of Complexity. . .
- Simply Complexity by Neil Johnson
- Why Stock Markets Crash: Critical Events in Complex Financial Systems by Didier Sornette
- Complexity, Risk, and Financial Markets by Edgar Peters
- The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell
Theory of Economics. . .
- Man, Economy, State by Murray Rothbard
- America’s Great Depression by Murray Rothbard
- Making Economic Sense: Collected Essays by Murray Rothbard
- Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt
- The Case for Gold by Ron Paul
- Human Action by Ludwig Von Mises
- The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek
- The Causes of Economic Crisis – Essays by Ludwig Von Mises
- Socialism by Ludwig Von Mises
- Theory and History by Ludwig Von Mises
- The Essays of Political Economy by Fredric Bastiat
- Stabilizing an Unstable Economy by Hyman Minsky
Interest Rates, Banking, and The Federal Reserve. . .
- Creature from Jekyll Island by Edward Griffin
- End the Fed by Ron Paul
- The Case Against the Fed by Murray Rothbard
- The Man Who Knew: The Life and Times of Alan Greenspan by Sebastian Mallaby
- America’s Bank: The Epic Struggle to Create the Federal Reserve by Roger Lowenstein
Value Investing and other Investing Strategies. . .
- Security Analysis by Benjamin Graham
- Antifragile by Nassim Taleb
- A Viennese Waltz Down Wall Street by Mark Skousen
- The Most Important Thing Illuminated by Howard Marks
- Manual of Ideas by John Mihaljevic
- Margin of Safety by Seth Klarman
- You Can Be a Stock Market Genius by Joel Greenblatt
- The Dao of Capital by Mark Spitznagel
- Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefevre
- Pitch the Perfect Investment by Paul D. Sonkin, Paul Johnson
- Accounting for Value by Stephen Penman
- Financial Shenanigans: How To Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports by Howard Schilit
- The Dark Side of Valuation: Valuing Young, Distressed, and Complex Businesses by Aswath Damodaran
- Value Investing: Tools and Techniques for Intelligent Investment by James Montier
- Distressed Debt Analysis: Strategies for Speculative Investors by Stephen G. Moyer
Optionality, Anti-fragility and Option Trading. . .
- Antifragile by Nassim Taleb
- Dynamic Hedging: Managing Vanilla and Exotic Options by Nassim Taleb
- Commodity Options by Carley Garner and Paul Brittain
Short Selling and Profiting from Collapsing Prices. . .
- Dead Companies Walking by Scott Fearon
- Art of Short Selling by Kathryn Staley
- The Most Dangerous Trade by Richard Teitelbaum
- Anatomy of the Bear by Russel Napier
- Short Selling: Finding Uncommon Short Ideas by Amit Kumar
Other Various Great Reads. . .
- Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin to Munger by Peter Bevelin
- The Gold Cartel by Dimitri Speck
- Gold: The Monetary Polaris by Nathan K. Lewis
- Adventure Capitalist by Jim Rogers
- Street Smarts by Jim Rogers
- Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins
- And The Money Kept Rolling In (And Out): The Bankrupting of Argentina by Paul Blustein
- By All Means Necessary: How China’s Resource Quest is Changing the World by Elizabeth Economy
- Unrestricted Warfare: China’s Master Plan to Destroy America by Qiao Liang
- Hot Commodities by Jim Rogers
- Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco by Bryan Burrough
- The Autobiography of Benjamin by Franklin Stanley Applebaum
- Fiat Money: Inflation in France by Andrew Dickson White
- The Colder War by Marin Katusa
- Borrow: The American Way of Debt by Louis Hyman
- Skin in the Game: Hidden Asymmetries in Life by Nassim Taleb
- A Man for All Markets by Edward Thorpe
- The Greatest Trade Ever by Gregory Zuckerman
- Petrodollar Warfare: Oil, Iraq, and the Future of the Dollar by William R. Clark
- The Alchemist by Paul Coelho
- The Tyranny of Experts by William Easterly
- The Logic of Scientific Discovery by Karl Popper